Tomorrow is banana bread day so why not use it as an excuse to warm your kitchen & put the oven on!
It’s the perfect way to use up those sad looking & brown spotted bananas sitting on your kitchen counter. You can also easily double up the recipe & then store a loaf in the freezer or have enough to share with your work colleagues!
This recipe is super easy to adapt so don’t be afraid to substitute the flour with a gluten-free or wholewheat one that you like. Then have fun experimenting with your optional fillings, although a classic chocolate & nut one is always a winner here at Cook it!
Easy Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf
3 large & very ripe bananas 50g unsalted butter (or coconut oil) melted & cooled 2 large eggs* 100g granulated sugar 170g all-purpose flour (or 80g all-purpose & 80g wholewheat) 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Plus 75g-100g of these optional additions..
Dark chocolate chunks, chocolate chips, chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans), dried fruit (raisins, currants, cranberries, apricots, etc)
- Preheat the oven to 350F & line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash up the bananas with a fork till there are only a few small chunks in it. Mix in the melted butter, eggs & sugar.
- Sift in all the remaining dry ingredients & combine well with a large spatula.
- Mix in any extras you want (chocolate, fruit, nuts, spices)
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin & bake for about 50 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean after testing the middle.
- Remove from the oven & leave it in the tin for 5 minutes. Then take it out to cool completely on a wire rack.
Although tempting, try not to slice it immediately when it’s hot. Wait till it’s only slightly warm or at room temperature for serving.
Freeze it: You can easily freeze a loaf or any leftovers if you want! Just make sure it is fully cooled, then cover the full loaf or slices in plastic wrap & freeze. When needed, leave it to defrost overnight.
TIP: Missing an egg? Replace it with.. 1/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce OR 1 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 3tbsp water.