Cinco de Mayo is the perfect occasion to celebrate the arrival of warmer weather! Get your friends together, create a Latin-inspired playlist and lay out a spread of Mexican-style food and drink that everyone will love! A potluck gathering where everyone brings a drink or a small dish always works well for this kind of evening! Here are four recipes that are sure to inspire you, not to mention get you drooling! OLÉ!
PINEAPPLE AND COCONUT MOJITO
- 1 lemon or lime
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream OR coconut milk
- 1 sprig of mint
- ¼ cup sparkling water or Club Soda
- 2 tablespoons white rum of your choice
- Pineapple, in cubes
- In the bottom of a glass, crush the mint with a little lime juice.
- In a cocktail shaker, shake together the pineapple juice, coconut milk, rum and ice.
- Pour into the glass and add the sparkling water.
- Garnish with a piece of pineapple, some mint leaves and a lemon or lime slice.
WATERMELON AND BASIL MARGARITA
- 1 lime
- 1 sprig of basil
- 60ml watermelon, mashed into a juice
- 30ml basil syrup
- 45ml tequila of your choice
For the basil syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup basil leaves
- Make the basil syrup first.
- Combine the three ingredients in a dish and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Set aside to rest and transfer to a sealed container. Refrigerate.
- Mix the tequila, basil syrup, watermelon juice, lime juice and ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake well.
- Pour into a glass. Garnish with lime slices and basil leaves.
- 3 jalapeno peppers
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 6 slices of bacon, raw or pre-cooked
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese with the cheddar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Slice the peppers in half and remove the seeds.
- Stuff with the cream cheese mixture.
- Wrap with a slice of bacon.
- Place on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil and cook in the oven for 22-25 minutes.
- Broil for 2 minutes, or until desired.
- Sour cream
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Jalapeno pepper, sliced
- Plastic wine glasses
- Layer the guacamole, sour cream and salsa in the small glasses.
- Garnish with the cheddar cheese, coriander, a slice of jalapeno and a little lime juice to taste.
- Serve with the nachos.